Rhode Island Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Updated/reviewed October 2017
- Need: To strengthen the local food system by assisting farmers, supporting rural economies and promoting access to fresh food for underserved families.
- Intervention: Financial partnership and targeted programs created to strengthen infrastructure and connect rural food producers to a larger, local market.
- Results: Sales have increased for local farmers and food producers, and low-income family participants increased their consumption of fruits and vegetables.
Updated/reviewed April 2017
- Need: A tangible way for providers to increase patients' access to affordable healthy food.
- Intervention: With the Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program, providers prescribe vouchers for patients to redeem for fruits and vegetables at local healthy food retailers.
- Results: Over 10,000 people have received FVRx prescriptions in rural and urban areas across 10 states.
Last Updated: 10/16/2017