Rural Long-Term Care Facilities Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas and provide lessons others have learned. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Updated/reviewed June 2016
- Need: To improve health status and access for rural nursing home patients in need of mental health services.
- Intervention: The University of Vermont Medical Center provides telepsychiatry care and education to nursing homes that face shortages of mental health professionals on site.
- Results: Telepsychiatry consultations ease the burden on nursing home residents by saving travel time, distance, and money involved with going to the nearest tertiary facility.
Added June 2017
- Need: To reduce hospital readmissions for Medicare patients in rural Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Intervention: Two quality improvement tools called IMPACT and INTERACT helped older patients transition from Vanderbilt University Medical Center to a skilled nursing facility.
- Results: Practitioner follow-up visits have increased, while emergency department visits have decreased.
Added October 2015
- Need: To provide health services for rural, elderly populations in long-term care who are inaccessible due to their location within four Midwest states.
- Intervention: Implemented telemedicine services to reach patients at their respective sites.
- Results: The program resulted in 362 provider-determined avoidable transfers and hundreds of telehealth encounters that ultimately kept patients in the comfort and care of their primary care providers.
Other Project Examples
Updated/reviewed April 2017
- Need: More childcare and preschool options in a rural Minnesota community
- Intervention: A local nursing home built a child learning center whose structure offered regular intergenerational activities between children and elderly residents
- Results: The partnership has resulted in benefits for all parties involved, instilling a sense of youth in the elderly and selfless care in the children
Last Updated: 6/23/2017