Skip to main content

Rural Project Examples: Mobile and episodic healthcare delivery

Effective Examples

funded by the Health Resources Services Administration New Mexico Mobile Screening Program for Miners
Updated/reviewed December 2018
  • Need: To increase access to medical screening for miners in New Mexico.
  • Intervention: A mobile screening clinic with telemedicine capability screens miners for respiratory and other conditions.
  • Results: In a survey, 92% of miners reported their care as very good, while the other 8% reported it as good. Since 1989, the program has served 6,685 miners.

Promising Examples

funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy The Health Wagon
Updated/reviewed November 2017
  • Need: Healthcare access for the medically underserved in Central Appalachia.
  • Intervention: A mobile clinic that provides free healthcare in 11 rural Virginia communities.
  • Results: The Health Wagon provides comprehensive healthcare services to over 4,000 patients annually.

Other Project Examples

The Hospital Cooperative Mobile MRI
Updated/reviewed August 2019
  • Need: Critical Access Hospitals in Idaho were not able to afford a fixed MRI system.
  • Intervention: The hospitals partnered to purchase a mobile MRI unit to travel among facilities.
  • Results: The MRI unit went into service in 2012, providing hundreds of scans per month and traveling among six member hospitals in rural Idaho.
Mobile Women's Health Unit
Updated/reviewed July 2019
  • Need: Because breast cancer is a leading cause of cancer death for American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) women, access to screening mammograms for those women living in remote areas is needed.
  • Intervention: The Great Plains Area Indian Health Service Mobile Women's Health Unit provided mammograms to women on multiple reservations across four states.
  • Results: Approximately 1,000 women were screened annually for breast cancer by the mobile unit.
funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy Ohio Northern University's HealthWise Mobile Outreach Program
Updated/reviewed July 2019
  • Need: Meeting both advanced practice pharmacy student education needs and patient healthcare needs in a nearby rural/underserved area.
  • Intervention: With support from multiple organizations, students in the Ohio Northern University's College of Pharmacy program use a motor coach to deliver a wide range of healthcare services during scheduled outreach visits.
  • Results: In the program's first two years, point-of-care screening, immunizations, and chronic disease prevention and management education have been provided to 800+ Hardin County, Ohio, residents.
Delta Dental Mobile Program
Updated/reviewed February 2019
  • Need: Lack of access to oral healthcare for children from limited-income families in the rural and urban areas of South Dakota.
  • Intervention: Delta Dental of South Dakota launched the Delta Dental Mobile Program in 2004 to expand access to oral healthcare services to children throughout the rural state.
  • Results: The Delta Dental Mobile Program has provided over $26 million in dental care to more than 52,000 South Dakota children.
Remote Area MedicalĀ®
Updated/reviewed November 2018
  • Need: A lack of basic medical, dental, and vision care for people living in isolated, impoverished, and underserved areas.
  • Intervention: Free mobile medical clinics that provide care through a highly efficient system that serves as many patients as possible, utilizing a corps of volunteers made up of licensed medical professionals and laypeople.
  • Results: Community members in rural and other underserved areas are provided with necessary healthcare and health education, including dental and vision services, at no cost to the patients or taxpayers.
funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy Miles for Smiles Mobile Dental Unit
Updated/reviewed December 2017
  • Need: Dental care access for children in low-income families living in a 7-county region of southwest Missouri.
  • Intervention: A mobile dental unit was created to expand dental care access.
  • Results: The Miles for Smiles mobile dental clinic provides comprehensive dental care to children throughout the 7-county region