Skip to main content

Rural People with Disabilities Organizations

Administration for Community Living (ACL)
Federal agency responsible for increasing access to community supports to meet the unique needs of older Americans and people with disabilities across the lifespan. Part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
view details

American Council on Rural Special Education (ACRES)
Organization of special educators, general educators, administrators, researchers, and parents who are committed to the enhancement of education and health services to students with disabilities living in rural America.
view details

Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living (APRIL)
A national network of rural centers for independent living (CILs) and other organizations and individuals concerned with the unique aspects of rural independent living. APRIL is organized to promote independence and strive for full rights and benefits for individuals with disabilities living in rural environments. Includes resources on accessing healthcare.
view details

Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS)
Works to promote high quality health care services for low-income populations and people with chronic illnesses and disabilities.
view details

Easter Seals
Provides services to 1.5 million children and adults with disabilities and other special needs, and provides support to their families. Easter Seals has 450+ service sites nationwide.
view details

National AgrAbility Project
Consists of a national project and state/regional projects, each involving collaborative partnerships between land grant universities and various nonprofit disability services organizations to enhance quality of life for farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural workers with disabilities. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
view details

National Council on Disability (NCD)
An independent federal agency making recommendations to the President and Congress on issues affecting Americans with disabilities. Promotes policies, programs, practices, and procedures that guarantee equal opportunity for all individuals with disabilities including those who live in rural and remote areas.
view details

National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR)
Provides leadership and support for a comprehensive program of research related to the rehabilitation of individuals with disabilities in rural and urban areas.
view details

Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP)
Dedicated to improving results for infants, toddlers, children and youth with disabilities ages birth through 21 by providing leadership and financial support to assist states and local districts. Provides resources on rural topics. Part of the U.S. Department of Education.
view details

Research and Training Center on Disability in Rural Communities (RTC)
Conducts research on issues of access to transportation and housing, employment and self-employment, independent living services, health and wellness facilities, and inclusion in community planning and activities of people with disabilities. Provides information and training to rural communities on disabilities.
view details

Last Reviewed: 10/20/2017