Nevada Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Other Project Examples
Updated/reviewed September 2020
- Need: To make a rural community more inclusive for older adults.
- Intervention: Winnemucca, Nevada, holds monthly meetings around topics like health, housing, social events, and transportation.
- Results: So far, these meetings have led to more accessible transportation and parking. The effort went countywide in 2017.
Added January 2020
- Need: To provide trainings so health professionals can better treat people with HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, and other infectious diseases.
- Intervention: NAETC provides clinical preceptorships, conferences, technical assistance, webinars, and other services.
- Results: In fiscal year 2018, NAETC provided over 1,300 hours in 38 trainings for more than 800 healthcare providers throughout Nevada.
Updated/reviewed December 2019
- Need: To reduce the number of overdoses and deaths related to opioid overdose in rural Nevada.
- Intervention: The Nevada Rural Opioid Overdose Reversal (NROOR) Program, led by a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), furnished naloxone and provided education on prescription opioid use and overdose.
- Results: In total, 117 EMTs were trained on the administration of naloxone. EMTs greatly appreciated the naloxone training and the naloxone kits.
Updated/reviewed September 2018
- Need: To provide rural Nevada EMS personnel an opportunity to receive quality training and current EMS information from national EMS educators.
- Intervention: The Rural Nevada EMS Conference offers continuing education units and engaging sessions for EMS personnel.
- Results: Over 300 participants attended the 2018 conference.
Last Updated: 9/8/2020