New Hampshire Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Added May 2017
- Need: To enhance palliative care access to rural patients with advanced cancer and their family caregivers.
- Intervention: Project ENABLE consists of: 1) an initial in-person palliative care consultation with a specialty-trained provider and 2) a semi-structured series of weekly, phone-delivered, nurse-led coaching sessions designed to help patients and their caregivers enhance their problem-solving, symptom management, and coping skills.
- Results: Patients and caregivers report lower rates of depression and burden along with higher quality of life.
Updated/reviewed September 2017
- Need: Rural hospitals and healthcare providers have less access to specialty care support.
- Intervention: A service was created at Avera Health that provides 24-hour virtual access to specialty care physicians, nurses and pharmacists.
- Results: Rural patients can receive specialty care without leaving their communities, and rural healthcare providers can get needed support in providing quality care to their patients.
Other Project Examples
Updated/reviewed November 2016
- Need: To prepare patients with complex care needs for discharge from their hospital stay.
- Intervention: A program was created to ease hospital discharges in the New Hampshire counties of Belknap, Grafton, and Merrimack.
- Results: Readmissions have decreased in high-risk inpatients and a continuous care coordination focus has been established.
Added August 2014
- Need: To strengthen the healthcare system in rural northern New England by helping local community and Critical Access Hospital providers assist their patients in learning about health insurance options under the Affordable Care Act.
- Intervention: An online training module to help providers learn about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and find local ACA enrollment resources.
- Results: 14 providers in 4 counties registered for the training.
Last Updated: 9/28/2017