Rural Project Examples: Healthcare networks
Other Project Examples
Indiana Statewide Rural Health Network (InSRHN)
Updated/reviewed July 2023
- Need: To improve sustainability and financial viability for rural healthcare providers throughout Indiana.
- Intervention: A network of rural healthcare providers for Critical Access and other hospitals in Indiana that are dedicated to improving their ability to deliver efficient and high-quality healthcare for their rural residents.
- Results: The network has been leveraged to increase access to resources, coordinate services, and improve and expand healthcare access.
Utah Rural Independent Hospital Network (Rural 9 Network)
Updated/reviewed April 2023
- Need: To help ensure the viability of and improve quality at 9 rural, independent hospitals serving 11 Utah counties.
- Intervention: A network organization was created to allow member hospitals to communicate, network, and undertake projects together.
- Results: Members take advantage of cost savings, education, and networking opportunities through group projects and programs.
The Hospital Cooperative Charge Comparative
Updated/reviewed September 2022
- Need: To help hospitals in rural Idaho and Wyoming see how their prices compare to others in the region.
- Intervention: The Hospital Cooperative (THC) completes an annual charge comparative, which lists the highest, lowest, average, and median price for a specific charge.
- Results: THC has offered these reports since 2010.
The Hospital Cooperative Mobile MRI
Updated/reviewed September 2022
- Need: Critical Access Hospitals in Idaho were not able to afford a fixed MRI system.
- Intervention: The hospitals partnered to purchase a mobile MRI unit to travel among facilities.
- Results: The MRI unit went into service in 2012, providing hundreds of scans per month and traveling among six member hospitals in rural Idaho.
Avita Health System Comprehensive Cardiology Program
Added April 2021
- Need: Population health approach to decreasing area deaths from cardiovascular disease.
- Intervention: A health system-level investment in level II cardiac catheterization services and the required specialized cardiology workforce.
- Results: Since August 2018, the Avita Health System in north central Ohio has provided local cardiovascular services that have decreased hospital transfers, increased care coordination, and provided education and prevention activities that, with time, will impact population health cardiovascular outcomes.
West Virginia's Partners In Health Network Regional Collaborative Services
Updated/reviewed September 2020
- Need: Coordinated approach to healthcare delivery in central and southern West Virginia.
- Intervention: Creation of a nonprofit organization that focused on quality and collaboration.
- Results: With an ability to provide services that meet the evolving needs of patients, providers, and communities, the organization provides unique services, such as a credentialing service and web-based data sharing care management tool.
Garrett County Regional Cancer Patient Navigator Program
Updated/reviewed March 2020
- Need: Comprehensive cancer services for residents of an 8-county, 3-state area in Appalachia.
- Intervention: Using a Cancer Patient Navigation Tool Kit, a Maryland acute care facility led a multidisciplinary collaboration that provided the area's patients with expanded cancer treatment services.
- Results: In addition to several new cancer-related programs, expanded services are now available for cancer patients, families, and cancer survivors.
For examples from other sources, see: