Ohio Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Updated/reviewed March 2019
- Need: A drug and alcohol prevention program for middle school students that is specific to rural culture in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
- Intervention: An adaptation of the evidence-based keepin' it REAL curriculum was customized for rural middle school students.
- Results: Students showed a reduction in all substance use and less personal acceptability of substance use.
Updated/reviewed November 2018
- Need: To reduce obesity among adults in rural east central Ohio.
- Intervention: Fit for Life Replication Project for Expansion was developed to make it possible to lose weight through practicing healthier lifestyle behaviors.
- Results: Out of the 443 adults who have completed the program, 81% experienced weight loss, a tangible result of the program's overarching goal to enhance levels of health and fitness.
Updated/reviewed April 2019
- Need: To reduce smoking rates of pregnant women and adolescents in Appalachian regions of Eastern Kentucky and Ohio.
- Intervention: A web-based smoking cessation program that offered monetary incentives to reducing smoking.
- Results: Participants significantly reduced smoking rates or quit altogether.
Other Project Examples
Updated/reviewed August 2019
- Need: To increase access to specialty care for rural veterans living with HIV.
- Intervention: The Telehealth Collaborative Care (TCC) study connects these patients with HIV specialists via clinical video telehealth or video on demand and works to create shared care relationships with primary care teams in rural areas.
- Results: TCC provides HIV specialty care to 600 rural veterans in Georgia and Texas and has expanded to include Indiana, Ohio, Mississippi, and Florida.
Updated/reviewed July 2019
- Need: Meeting both advanced practice pharmacy student education needs and patient healthcare needs in a nearby rural/underserved area.
- Intervention: With support from multiple organizations, students in the Ohio Northern University's College of Pharmacy program use a motor coach to deliver a wide range of healthcare services during scheduled outreach visits.
- Results: In the program's first two years, point-of-care screening, immunizations, and chronic disease prevention and management education have been provided to 800+ Hardin County, Ohio, residents.
Updated/reviewed June 2019
- Need: To reduce rates of chronic disease in Appalachian Ohio by increasing fruit and vegetable intake.
- Intervention: Ohio State University Extension-Vinton County established a community garden, container gardens, and classes to provide residents with fresh produce and healthy cooking/canning techniques.
- Results: The number of gardeners has increased in Vinton County, providing residents with healthier food.
Updated/reviewed May 2019
- Need: To prevent readmissions and improve the recovery process for older adults in rural southern Ohio.
- Intervention: Hospital2Home identifies high-risk individuals and provides vouchers for services like personal care and home-delivered meals.
- Results: In the program's first year, Hospital2Home served twice as many patients as the region's previous program and used 27% less funding. In addition, 89% of patients did not readmit for 3 months post-hospital discharge.
Added March 2019
- Need: School-based drug misuse prevention program in Appalachian Ohio, a need triggered by a high school student's overdose death.
- Intervention: Implementation of the HOPE curriculum, an age-appropriate K through 12th grade drug abuse prevention program.
- Results: No further drug overdose deaths after curriculum initiated.
Updated/reviewed March 2019
- Need: To improve health outcomes in rural Appalachian Ohio.
- Intervention: Schools as a Hub for Health promotes holistic wellness for the whole community by creating or bringing in programs that support physical, mental, and social health.
- Results: The project has gained administrator buy-in and was featured in a December 2016 County Health Rankings & Roadmaps webinar.
Updated/reviewed December 2018
- Need: Organized effort targeting COPD patients' medical needs in order to prevent hospital readmission in Zanesville, Ohio.
- Intervention: Creation of an integrated system model using nurse navigators that incorporates evidence-based chronic disease care management approaches to COPD care.
- Results: Improved readmission rates and overall improved acute and chronic care for the area's COPD patients.
Updated/reviewed August 2017
- Need: Critical access hospitals (CAHs) in rural Illinois required an external mechanism for peer review.
- Intervention: Using physicians from network member hospitals, a CAH network implemented a peer review process.
- Results: Staff peer reviews also improved healthcare quality within the CAH network.
Last Updated: 8/5/2019