Louisiana Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Updated/reviewed September 2017
- Need: To educate youth about obesity and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Intervention: An educational program about healthy living was implemented in Lincoln and Claiborne Parishes in Louisiana for youth ages 9-18.
- Results: Youth4Health program produced greater awareness and participation in healthier lifestyles by target youth and their families, as well as church congregations.
Updated/reviewed December 2016
- Need: To improve the oral health status of children ages 3 to 13 living in underserved rural areas of Louisiana.
- Intervention: Students enrolled in school-based health centers receive oral health assessments as part of their comprehensive physical exams.
- Results: During the 2012-2015 grant period, SBHCs provided 2,136 fluoride varnishes and 2,273 caries risk assessments and identified 715 dental homes for children. In year one of the 2015-2018 grant, SBHCs provided 938 fluoride varnishes.
Added November 2015
- Need: To prevent or slow the progression of diabetes for at-risk residents in Rural Northeast Louisiana.
- Intervention: The North Louisiana Regional Alliance developed a program that offers screenings, education, and an intense course for participants throughout the Northeast Louisiana region to lower the risk of diabetes.
- Results: The program saw an overall decrease in blood sugar levels in residents who participated in their initiatives.
Other Project Examples
Updated/reviewed November 2017
- Need: To inform rural Louisiana residents about their health insurance options under the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid Expansion program.
- Intervention: A community health center reached out to individuals at their clinic sites, rural hospital emergency rooms, and through local governments and other community agencies.
- Results: Many rural residents have gained access to health insurance information and enrollment assistance.
Added September 2017
- Need: Teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, in young girls were concerns for members of Union Parish, Louisiana.
- Intervention: Union General Hospital, a Critical Access Hospital, created the program It's a Girl Thing: Making Proud Choices to teach prevention, self-confidence, and personal responsibility to teen girls.
- Results: Teen pregnancy rates in Union Parish have dropped by 18%, exceeding the program's initial goal of 5%. Graduation rates have also increased the longer girls remain in the program.
Updated/reviewed June 2017
- Need: To provide rural Louisiana ambulance services with the necessary resources to establish electronic patient care reports and participation in both the state trauma registry and the state health information exchange.
- Intervention: A network was established providing equipment, software, training, data collection, data analysis, and support.
- Results: EMS Electronic Patient Care Reporting (ePCR) has been implemented, allowing members to participate in the Louisiana Health Information Exchange (LaHIE), and to provide data to the statewide trauma registry.
Added April 2017
- Need: Rural Union Parish, Louisiana experienced higher than average suicide rates among youth.
- Intervention: Union General Hospital, a Critical Access Hospital, started a program to educate students 4th through 12th grade on the negative effects of bullying and how to model positive social behavior.
- Results: The 1,500+ students trained have learned how to recognize, report, and react to bullying.
Updated/reviewed January 2017
- Need: To fill the gaps in patient record sharing among rural Louisiana hospitals.
- Intervention: Electronic patient records are made accessible by providing participating members with equipment and software.
- Results: 29 hospitals have been equipped with the telemedicine equipment and a web site has been created for initial document and information sharing.
Last Updated: 11/6/2017