Outreach and Education Model
Rural communities are developing outreach and education programs that use curricula, tools, and media to increase community member knowledge and awareness of oral health. Community outreach and education programs may also occur in dental clinics (see Dental Clinic Model). Examples of rural oral health outreach and education activities include:
- Hosting a dental booth at a community health fair
- Identifying champions providers in peer groups to increase awareness of oral healthcare challenges in their communities
- Working with community health workers to conduct education on oral health self-care and preventive care in order to reduce emergency department visits
- Providing teachers with access to ongoing technical assistance on pediatric oral health issues
- Educating providers about the importance of oral examinations of infants and toddlers
- Conducting outreach to hard-to-reach populations such as migrant farm workers
- Working with the Women, Infants, and Children and Head Start programs to include a dental education component
Rural oral health programs use culturally appropriate outreach and education strategies. Educational materials may be translated into different languages. Outreach may occur at churches, stores, and community centers.
Resources to Learn More
Into the Mouths of Babes
The Into the Mouths of Babes program trains medical providers to deliver preventive oral health services to high-risk children.
Organization(s): North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
Oral Health Education Materials for
This website provides oral health education materials for children in first through fifth grade.
Organization(s): Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services - Oral Health Program
Smiles for Life: A National Oral Health Curriculum
Smiles for Life is a national comprehensive oral health curriculum. This curriculum is designed to enhance the role of primary care clinicians in the promotion of oral health for all age groups through the development and dissemination of high-quality educational resources. The curriculum contains educational modules for physicians, nurses, and physician assistants.
Organization(s): Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Group on Oral Health, DentaQuest Foundation, Washington Dental Service Foundation, Connecticut Health Foundation