Importance of Sustainability Planning
Adequate and reliable funding is critical for preventing and treating HIV/AIDS in rural communities. Many rural HIV/AIDS programs receive federal funding from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program. Rural programs describe the Ryan White program as essential to the long-term sustainability of the HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment services in their communities.
Important sustainability considerations include:
- Identifying funding opportunities from federal, state, and private organizations
- Collaborating with local organizations, such as community-based organizations that know the population served, to provide screening services and help to connect people to social and support services
- Collaborating with local providers who may offer volunteer or reduced rates
- Providing transportation services to increase access to or retention in care
- Integrating key services into existing community organizations
The Rural Health Information Hub hosts a collection of resources from the Georgia Health Policy Center to help rural organizations plan for sustainability.
Resources to Learn More
AIDS United Sector
Outlines the important services offered by the AIDS United organization to support AIDS services organizations and community based organizations maintain long term sustainability through the Sector Transformation Initiative.
Organization(s): AIDS United
Sustainability of Ryan White-Funded AIDS Services Organizations and Community-Based Organizations
Report addressing how recent changes in healthcare policy will affect funding and sustainability of AIDS service organizations and community-based organizations. Strategies for adjusting to these changes are also included.
Author(s): Charles, V., Hadrava, M., Crowley, J., et al.
Organization(s): National Center for Innovation in HIV Care
National Center for Innovation in HIV Care
Provides webinars, fact sheets, and briefings related to building organizational sustainability for HIV/AIDS programs. Also includes specialized technical assistance for Ryan White grantees.
Organization(s): TARGETHIV: Tools for the Ryan White Community